After reviewing the New York State requirements for re-opening our recreational facilities, we have made the following decisions:
- The town swimming pool will remain closed for the season. The earliest that the pool could have been opened is in Phase 4 which, at the earliest, would occur for our region at the end of July. Other challenges are maintaining social distancing, mask usage, and the uncertainty of being able to have sufficient qualified lifeguards for a shortened season. This decision is consistent with the closure of public pools throughout the state.
- The town’s summer day camp program is cancelled. We have reviewed the necessary precautions and protocols that must be in place for operation of the day camp and have concluded that it is not possible us to do so safely. The social distancing requirements, usage of masks and other personal protective equipment, the lack of swimming activities, and the uncertainty of being able to provide adequate staffing for a shortened season were the major factors in making this decision.
Until the Mid Hudson region reaches phase 4 re-opening status, most recreational facilities and playing fields in the town will remain closed. The following are exceptions:
(1) The Thompson-Mazzerella Park trails can be used for hiking.
(2) The Community Garden within the Thompson-Mazzerella Park is open.
(3) The Tennis Courts in the Thompson-Mazzerella Park will be available for use as soon as the region reaches phase 1 status, expected to be May 26, 2020.
Social distancing must be observed and/or masks must be worn at all times. Unleashed pets are not allowed on town facilities at any time and are subject to fines.
This notice will be updated as additional activities are added.