Pare Lorentz Center at the FDR Presidential Library
On May 1, 1939, President Roosevelt dedicated a new Post Office in Rhinebeck, New York, just up the road from the President’s home in Hyde Park. Secretary Henry Morgenthau and Post Master General James Farley both spoke before FDR formally dedicated the building. The cornerstone was laid by Crown Price Frederik of Denmark. Eleanor and Sara Roosevelt, pictured here on the porch of the Post Office as Franklin speaks, carried bouquets of locally grown violets.
READ ON: http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/daybyday/resource/may-1939-4/