Year end review of the Church of the Messiah’s Food Pantry for 2015
We have ended another busy year at the pantry, with the help and support of our many cheerful volunteers and donors. We had 309 registered households this year, up slightly from 2015. You might be interested to know that
- We had over 1700 household visits during the year providing food for over 37000 meals, including nearly 8000 for children and 4500 for seniors.
- Most of our clients came from Rhinebeck, Hyde Park, Red Hook and Staatsburg.
- We collected and supplied over 53,000 pounds of food from the Regional Food Bank (some purchased, some donated). That is in addition to very generous donations from local farms and bakeries, members of the community, and several successful food drives, bringing our estimated total food distribution to about 80,000 pounds.
- We wrapped up the year with holiday season offerings of trimmings bags and grocery gift cards, chickens and hams, following a successful coat distribution to nearly 300 people.
We thank all of you who have conducted food drives for us, donated food and made contributions. Sincere thanks also to our dedicated volunteers. Without all of this support we would not be able to meet the continuing needs of our communities.
Interested in helping?
There are many behind the scenes tasks involved in running the pantry, a number of which can be done from your home and/or on your own schedule. We welcome all volunteers from the community and are particularly in need of help beyond staffing Friday “pantry days”.
Currently we need volunteers to help with:
- grocery shopping
- preparing grant applications and identifying grant opportunities
- creating and periodically updating basic tracking spread sheets of volunteer and other information
- communicating and interacting with donors (e.g., collecting food donations, handling correspondence regarding contributions)
- providing back up to drivers of our rented U-Haul trucks for monthly food pickups.
You are needed more than you know. If you are interested in helping with any of the above, please email or call:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 845-876-3533