Propane leak sparks fire outside Rhinebeck Stop & Shop

RHINEBECK — The Rhinebeck Fire Department managed to avert what public information officer Henry Campbell described as a potential disaster after a propane vaporizing unit caught fire at the Stop & Shop on U.S. Route 9 on Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters initially received a report of a brush fire at 3:40 p.m., but Campbell said that call was upgraded to a propane leak fire soon after.

Campbell said when firefighters arrived, they saw 8-foot flames leaping from the vaporizing unit, which was located about 20 feet away from three, 2,000-gallon storage tanks.

ReadOn: www.dailyfreeman.com/articles/2009/12/16/blotter/doc4b28673e8099e393228609.txt