Rhinebeck facts…from Town Historian Nancy Kelly
The Rhinebeck Town Seal provides a history lesson of the Town. The upper left corner represents the British flag and the lower right corner represents the Dutch flag. Settlers from both nations were early founders of the area. The uper right corner depicts a water wheel and symbolizes the importance of water as an energy source to the early Rhinebeck community. The lower left corner contains violets, commemorating a significant Rhinebeck industry. The overlay in the middle pays homage to Palatine settlers of 1710, who settled in the area at the suggestion of Henry Beekman.
was a very early and very important road in Rhinebeck, leading to the mouth of the Landsmankill where Henry Beekman built a gristmill in 1710. Dr. Thomas Tillotson, a grand son-in-law of Beekman, purchased the mill about 1790 and established his Linwood estate. The mill continued operation during the first half of the 19th Century.
was established as a private drive from theVillage of
Rhinebeck to Ferncliff, the Astor estate. The Astors maintained the road until the estate was dissolved. The above information was provided by Nancy Kelly, Town Historian.